Why is fine motor skill development important?
Fine motor skills is the coordination of small muscle movements – usually involving small, precise thumb, finger, hand, and wrist movements. Fine motor activity in the early year’s help children refine their pincer grasp (grasping an object with their thumb and pointer finger using their preferred hand) and are a precursor to handwriting. By practicing picking up, manipulating, and exercising the small muscles in the palm of the hand you are actually enabling children to gain control and strength while coloring, drawing, cutting, and forming letters or writing when age appropriate. (6)
Little hands need to develop dexterity and strength. We, as parents or caregivers, can help this process by encouraging children to play, explore and interact with a variety of items. Toys, clothing fasteners, safe scissors and play dough are all tactile examples of practices that facilitate fine motor development.
Many children who do not have strong small motor skills become more easily frustrated while doing tasks that require writing which can lead to poor self-esteem, anxiety and stress. If left unattended, there is a greater likelihood that the child’s written school work will be marked “incorrect” due to its illegibility! (6)
What we have to offer
Benefits of our online fine motor skill games
1) Hand-eye coordination improves as fine motor skills improve. Without hand-eye coordination, we wouldn’t be able to sew, drive a car, wash our hair, drink from a cup (we couldn’t drink our coffee!), put our shoes on, hit a baseball with a bat (okay, that task is still difficult for some), or simply reach for the object we want
2) Fine motor skills help kids learn and develop handwriting and drawing skills. An extremely important part of school work involves these two tasks. Think of the tracing letter sheets used in pre-schools and kindergarten; they help hone in on those small muscles!
3) As children grow in their fine-motor skills, their self-esteem grows too. They learn how to have an impact on the world around them. Children can be selfish souls, but they are also very compassionate beings. Building confidence and self-esteem can help them realize the influence they can have in society. Which is a pretty awesome thing!
4) Fine motor skill efficiency significantly influences the quality of the task outcome as well as the speed of task performance. Efficient fine motor skills require a number of independent skills to work together to appropriately manipulate the object or perform the task.
To conclude with additional information
5) The findings demonstrate a positive influence of computer games on psychomotor functioning. We submit that playing computer games may be a useful training tool to increase fine motor skills and movement coordination. (5)